SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thisbud4u

grafting low chill apricot onto high chill stock. Bad idea?

thisbud4u
15 years ago

Well, the fellow who planted all our apricots apparently planted high chill varieties. After 8 years of growth, the trees are big and healthy, but we've gotten a total of 3 apricots from 6 trees. We live within sight of the Pacific Ocean just north of San Diego, so our chilling hours are almost as low as you can get. If we grow low chill varieties we do pretty well, but the time has come to either rip out or graft over all our apricots.

I made an observation today that interested me--all our low chill fruit trees (apples, peaches, nectarines, and the neighbor's low chill apricots) have all leafed out nicely already (March 24). All our higher chill fruit trees haven't got a single leaf on them yet--they still think it's winter.

So, if we graft a low chill apricot onto a rootstock that's high chill, won't the high chill parent still influence the growth and performance of the low chill scion? I mean, if the high chill rootstock prevents the sap from getting up to the branches until later in the year, won't that influence whether we get apricots or not?

Tricky question, I know, but I figure you folks will know if anyone will. Maybe we should just rip out our non-producing high chill apricots and replaant with low chill varieties?

Comments (8)