SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
giannigrow

corn vs. critters

giannigrow
14 years ago

I know there's at least one chipmunk and a bunch of squirrels in my garden. I haven't seen any rabbits yet but we've always had them. I planted a dozen corn seedlings, along with the usual assortment of other vegetables.During the first night several corn plants were either nibbled at ground level or completely pulled out of the planting hole. I bought more corn plants and made box-like enclosure of 2x4's on the sides of which I stapled plastic sheeting. The height of the enclosure was eighteen inches. I made sure the sheeting extended beyond the enclosure so that I could lay 2x4's on top to prevent entry under the sheeting. The top of the enclosure was open. A few days later I found plants dug up or nibbled at. I bought more plants. This time I cut the bottom and top of clear plastic pint-sized water bottles and made an enclosure for each individual plant. The plastic is soft so that it doesn't really dig into the soil so I had to mound dirt around the bottom. A week has gone by and all the seedlings are thriving undisturbed. It's amazing that I live in a densely populated area only 9 miles from NYC, yet there are just enough critters to make a gardener's life miserable. Last year I had to deal with a groundhog.

The critters are not going after my tomatoes yet. They wait until there are plenty of ripe tomatoes on the vine and go to town!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz