SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newbiegardner

Do Raccoons Attack People?

newbiegardner
15 years ago

Folks,

My 7 year old daughter and I went outside around 9 p.m. tonight to check on our chickens in the coop (it is cold for South Florida tonight) and we saw a single raccoon about 100 feet away.

It looked straight at me while I had the coop door open and begain walking towards me slowly. We have seen raccoons before but they usually RUN from us....not walk toward us.

Anyway, I didn't worry at first thinking it would "spook" and turn away. I turned back to the coop and returned to checking on things. My daughter grabbed my hand and yelled "Daddy, it is still coming!!!".

I looked up to see it less than 50 feet away from us and still approaching slowly.

Afraid to turn my back to it....both my daughter and I slowly backed away towards our home....the raccoon froze for a few seconds.

We kept backing up until we were within 20 feet of our patio door...and then turned and made a dash for the door.

When we turned around to look from the safety of our home, it was nowhere to be seen.

At this point, I realized I DID NOT LOCK THE COOP.

I left my daughter inside and returned to lock the coop....looking nervously around me the entire time. Nothing.

I locked the coop and hurried inside.

Am I paranoid? Should I be scared? Do raccoons attach people? Could this one have rabies?

We have a swingset in our backyard...is it safe to let my daughters play in the backyard during the day? Evening?

"Jeepers"! I've never had a raccoon "stare me down" before and certainly never had one walk TOWARDS me.

Any advice for us "city folks"? BTW, we live in the city but in an area of wooded 1 acre lots.

Comments (23)