SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pollyandfriends

Raccoons

pollyandfriends
16 years ago

Polly and Friends is a non-profit organization dedicated to raccoons through direct care and education.

Alone, Terrified, Immobile, blind and covered in her own blood laid a tiny baby raccoon named Peaches. She was two and a half months old only weighing two pounds. She constantly attacked her own body as she had one seizure after another. Her brain was slowly dying more everyday she laid in this devastating condition. As I followed my vets instructions I provide her with intensive twenty-four hour a day medical treatment along with tender loving care. Peaches health slowly improved one day at a time.

In 2007 Peaches finally took her first literal baby steps. She lost her balance and tumbled over, but she could walk!!! By this time she had also regained some of her eye sight and sense of smell. Although I was over joyed with her progress I knew her brain had been too badly damaged for her to ever survive in the wild. I was loved her and was happy to have her with me for her life time. On the other hand I felt bad for her because she could not return to the wild with her litter mates. Peaches was so happy living in the moment she never felt sorry for herself the way people did. She just made the best of every moment.

I'll never forget April 29, 2007. Peaches and I spent the entire day together. I was marveling at her health improvements. It was about eight at night as she sat up and ate on her own. Ten minutes later she was seizing repeatedly. I was shocked she had not had one seizure for 7 months. By the time we arrived at our vets office she was unresponsive. Since that day Peaches has had bad times, but she also has her good times. For the last couple weeks she has done exceptional. I Know she my die any minute, but I also know she is alive and content with me in this moment.

Polly and Friends is a non-profit organization dedicated to raccoons: those living in the wild and those in captivity. Our purpose is to help raccoons: not only though direct care, but also by educating humans on how special they are. Peaches is our first disabled educational raccoon. She goes with us to schools and events, touching lives just by being herself. If she were able to survive in the wild we would return her there in the same way we do for all self-sufficient wildlife.

Comments (15)