SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
miscindy_gw

Any options for little watering/attention 1st year?

miscindy
15 years ago

We are making an offer on some land this weekend with plans to build a home in 3-4 years. Eventually I'd like a variety of fruit trees and bushes including peaches, apples, blueberries, and raspberries. It would be nice to be able to plant a few trees this spring so they'd have time to get established for a few years and be ready to fruit soon after we move in.

There's plenty of land so I can plant far enough enough away from the future building site they wouldn't be disturbed. The problem is watering. There's no well on the land. I would take water out when I plant, but it's 45 minutes from home, so I'll not be going out with lots of frequency to water fruit trees. Are there any trees that could do well after an initial watering with the natural rainfall? (If I plant in spring, there will be rain.) I could also put some sort of large plastic container filled with water near the base of the tree and drill holes in the bottom so it would slowly water over time.

Any suggestions as to what might survive this type of neglect or am I better off waiting? Thanks!

Comments (13)