SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
silver2_gw

Abused goat

silver2
15 years ago

My son just rescued an adult billy goat. He is a year and a half old, had not been neutered or really cared for. Tied to a tree with a plastic rope, ear mites, hooves that looked like elf boots, infection between the cloven hooves on all four feet and severely under fed. Crackers and bread had been his feed. His photo showed blood on his legs, probably from scratching. Anyway, he is getting good feed, has had his hooves done by a vet, been neutered, had his horns trimmed and evened, as one had broken off and was raw and sore. Ears were cleaned and treated, got his shots and been gone over.

His condition was so bad when he first came home before the vetting, he was fairly quiet. But now,,, he feels better, he can walk and run, which with his feet so bad,he could not do before. And he can butt and be bad tempered, so basically he is a wild goat and a large one with , for such a short time, a remarkable recovery. He also bites, and needless to say is not a good companion to the young female goat my son has.

Question is, how long or will he tame down? It has only been about ten days since the vet had him and did the fix up work. Any good methods for goat gentling? He has had to be isolated, as he butted his way through the pen and got loose, butted his way through the barn doors, tethers will not hold him. So he had to be put into a horse stall with a solid wood pen that so far he has not been able to blow through. He goes into attack mode, even to biting if he can't get you with his horns. He even attacked the female doe, so currently they can't be together.

Any good advice out there, as I know my son won't give up on him.And would not want to do anything to hurt him. I know he is working with him, trying to hand feed him treats and talk to him, but is there a better way.

Who talks goat language? I know they are more intelligent than given credit for. And the doe is like a big dog, she was bottle raised. And supposedly so was this buck, but apparently at some point they got tired of him and just left him out to molder.

Comments (16)