SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nchomemaker

Please talk me out of expanding the garden

nchomemaker
15 years ago

Well I'm reading that corn and anything with corn in it is going to go sky high because of the Midwest flooding. My present garden is quite large but this year because of the d*** squirrels, I decided to grow sweet potatoes instead of corn. The last couple years, my hard work of planting corn was mostly wasted. We got a few ears for fresh eating but then squirrels kept getting the rest of it.

I have more yard I could turn into garden, not easily because the ground is hard from last year's drought and beginning to get a lack of rain this year. So tilling it is going to be difficult. I have no organic matter to add to the soil and don't have the money to buy bags of it.

Then even if I get the soil tilled up sufficently, and go to the work of sowing, hilling, weeding the corn patch, I just know those d*** squirrels are going to rejoice the minute they see those stalks growing up.

I have tried the peanutbutter and plaster paris balls, I've tried the catch and release traps, caught a cat and a possum but no squirrels, so that is why I was just not going to grow corn this year. But now I'm having second thoughts, am I insane to even try?

Comments (22)