SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scottfsmith

Talk me out of removing these varieties

Scott F Smith
12 years ago

I have decided to thin out my back orchard by a fair amount, there isn't enough sun there for the 1' and 2' spacings I have and I am going to more 3-4' spacing minimum. Some of them I already removed but I am including them anyway.

Peaches:

George IV - a fine peach but the tree is in a bad spot; there are also better whites, its not one of my top ones.

Raritan Rose - similar to George, fine but not exceptional and in the way plus occasional mealiness

Black Boy - too prone to mealiness in comparison to Indian Free

Rareripe - same mealiness problem, in fact these are almost always mealy

Apples:

Darcy Spice - tree in bad spot and the few fruits were not good

Reinette de Chenee - Fine apple but not excpetional in any way

Rambour Franc - lots of watercore and non-exceptional taste

Pitmaston Pineapple - well this one I like a lot but the tree is in a bad spot and I have many similar tasting apples (Orleans Reinette, Roxbury, etc) and it has been extremely unproductive for me.

Blacktwig - not sure about this one but its in a bad spot and has not been productive. The fruits are bland but its a long term storage apple and I havent stored them yet.

Gala - I like this guy a lot and may put it back some day but its in a bad spot

Jonathan - similar to Gala

Fuji - see Jonathan

Black Gillliflower - similar shape and taste to Pigeonnet Rouge and the latter is in a better spot and has been much more productive for me. BG is also too dry-fleshed and is prone to rotting on the tree.

Yellow Bellflower - bad spot and unproductive

Pomme Raisin - mainly a cider apple supposedly but has not fruited yet; in a reaaally bad spot and I may move it.

Smokehouse - this is a very solid apple but lots of skin problems and in a bad spot.

Golden Russet - very similar to Rusty Coat which I like a touch more

Reinette Gris Santoinge - mealy and bland version of Golden Russet

Court Pendu Plat - similar enough to Orleans Reinette etc and in a bad spot

Apricots:

Probably all of my Pakistani cots. These guys flower OK, set somewhat meagerly, then drop nearly all fruits -- just not worth it. They also are much more prone to shoot blight.

Sukphany - a decent white cot but very unproductive

Puget Gold - I'm not sure about this one, its OK but is watery, prone to peach scab. It is next to my Tomcot and I would rather give the Tomcot that extra room to expand.

Plums:

General Hand - super duper curc susceptible and graft was in a really bad spot

Wickson - I will miss this one for its unique flavor, but its too much of a rot magnet and is in a bad spot.

Flavor King - time to give up on this rot magnet

Mirabelles - I have three of them (Metz, Nancy, NY) and they are very vigorous so it would help to remove at least some of them; not sure which one(s) however.

Damson - this is a great jam plum but its too vigorous

Cherries:

I have removed most of my cherries already. I am definitely keeping Montmorency and White Gold since they are good and reliable, and the White Gold gets little bird damage most years. Black Gold was also a solid cherry, but I already removed it since it was in a bad spot. All of my other sours (Danube, Surefire, Balaton) I decided were inferior to Montmorency and its easier with one variety for cooking/harvesting - there is a shorter window for the birds to steal them. In general this is the reason why I am removing cherry varieties, its a lot easier to keep the pests off when you have narrow ripening periods. Hedelfingen has been unproductive and not ripening well so its being removed; Lapins was not as good as Black Gold. I am still waiting for the guigne (soft sweet) varieties I have to fruit, but Black Tartarian is already a keeper and I expect I will be keeping a few of the others.

Scott

Comments (16)