SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nd64

Talk me out of my crazy house painting idea!

nd64
5 years ago

I have a 100-year old wood shingled house that needs painting. The paint that hasn't fallen off is most likely lead-based. It has probably been painted many times, so it has a very uneven texture.

Just painting over it is not an option. It would look terrible and if the paint underneath finally fails, it will take the new paint with it.

Stripping it to bare wood and repainting is one solution. Problem - extremely difficult and time consuming, and would need special lead containment tools for the dust.

Removing all the shingles and replacing them is another solution. Problem - extremely expensive.

My crazy idea is...

Remove all shingles carefully by using a hole saw right over the nail heads. Save and mark each shingle to keep track of the exact location it came from. Then, put them back on in the exact same spot they were originally - upside down! No sanding or paint removal. The lead paint will be encapsulated. Reusing the existing material...also an opportunity to cover the house with Tyvek wrap.

I know this is a crazy idea because I Googled it and there were no hits. This has never been done before.

What am I missing?

Comments (5)