SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
olpea

Thinning Peaches

olpea
11 years ago

A couple weeks ago I was at a large peach orchard. The owner and I were discussing peaches and we started talking about thinning.

He mentioned it takes his workers less than 30 min. to thin a mature peach tree. I questioned him closely about it. He indicated one worker can thin a mature tree in 30 min. They don't use any Kentucky bumpers/whiffle bats, just hand thinning. They also don't use the toilet brush method to thin at bloom.

I'm not new at growing peaches, but I don't understand how his men can thin a mature tree in 30 min. It sometimes takes me 2 hrs. to thin a large pedestrian tree. I don't try to thin at a frantic pace, but I work steady and automatically. My family helps me thin and it also takes them a couple hours/tree.

The guy had 9000 peach trees and said he hired a crew of 10-12 to do his thinning. At 30 min./tree, it would take 4500 hrs. to do all the thinning. With a 12 man crew, that would be 375 hrs./ person. At 50 hrs./week it would take 7.5 weeks to complete thinning.

He indicated by the time they get done thinning the last varieties, the peaches are past pit-hardening (i.e. golf ball). That would make sense if they started thinning shortly after bloom.

I'd like to know if I'm really that slow at thinning. How long does it take you to thin a mature peach tree?

Comments (11)