SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rjinga

Thinning Peaches, is it ever too late?

rjinga
14 years ago

And when you have so many different sized ones on the branch at the same time, is it survival of the fittest? and the small ones go? And what about a tree that has grown too tall for hand thinning? I cant get up on a ladder these days for fear of further injurying my back...So whatever can I do?

Does a peach trees fruit mature at different times or all at once? I know that I should know this, as this tree has been here since I moved in...but it truly seems to do something different EVERY year.

which brings me to another question...

Is there any way to attempt to regulate these trees? or again, is it mother nature at play? Clearly cant control the rain, sun and the bees...but can pests contribute to it's inconsistant performance?

Almost seems that when I did NOTHING at all, it had fruit, I ate them, all was well...since I've been "learning" all the right ways to manage these trees, seems that production and problems have changed (decreased and then increased). Of course this could simply be a coincidence...but I'm just saying...

Comments (8)