SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julio01_gw

Olive Trees - Adding Lime after planting

julio01
16 years ago

Hello,

Wanting to get input on the requirements for modifying the PH of my soil after planting 20 Mission and 1 Arbequina Olive Trees. I should have obtained a soil analysis before planting but did not. I planted the seedlings in a large hole 1.5 feet deep x 2 feet wide with soil (sandy clay mix) and mixed the existing soil with about half cow manure compost and a couple of handfulls of agricultural lime. The trees are doing fine and have no problems with 28 degree weather and heavy frosts. I'm covering them the first year when temps go below 25 deg F. Mission olives are supposedly hardy to 8 deg F (only one time this year so far for a period of 3 days).

I've had the state soil lab do an analysis and the PH is 5.3, rather acidic and they recommend 125 pounds of lime per 1000 square feet. From what I read, the optimum PH should be 7-8 for olives. Since planting I've also spread about 2 handfulls of lime around each tree but not close to the trunk as I'm afraid of putting too much on.

My question is if I can consider the olive growing zone to be a 10 ft x 10 ft area totaling 100 sq ft and apply 12.5 pounds of lime per tree spread over the 10x10 area? Should I apply now or wait till spring and also should I spread it out over a period of time? 12 pounds per tree sounds like a lot. Other than this the soil analysis recommends 12.5 pounds of 8-8-8 over 1000 sq ft in March followed by 2# 0-46-0 conc superphospate and 2#34-0-0 ammonium nitrate in May.

Just want to see if I can change the PH by surface applic. of the lime, how much and when. Have also been told azamite might be good for olives. I have a whole pile of limestone gravel. Wondering if that would ok instead of azomite. Obviously the limestone gravel would not be a replacement for the agricultural lime.

Thanks

Comments (7)