SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
viktoria5_gw

Cleaning up after verticillium wilt

viktoria5
13 years ago

I have a tiny raised bed vegetable garden. One of the raised beds has two zucchini squash plants in it. They are touching and so are very easy to compare. That is how I noticed about a week ago a symptom on one of them that later turned out to be verticillium wilt.

The raised bed also contains two tomatoes, two peppers and some herbs, and I am about to transplant some melons along a trellis at one end (far from the wilting zucchini squash).

So far, this one squash plant is the only plant I have that has any sign of disease. The rest is lush, vigorous and I keep getting compliments on it all from more experienced veggie gardeners (this can most likely be explained by just a mix of raised beds, healthy soil, crushing bugs the good old way without using any chemicals and taking my sweet time to take good care of it all).

Now, for the questions:

Do I really have to pull up that plant? Is there no way to save it? I only have one other squash and I am afraid that keeping only one squash may not be enough to pollinate the survivor (hand pollinating works for me, but I often have four or five female blooms to pollinate with just one male bloom).

If I do pull up and discard the affected squash plant, what measures can I take so that the rest of my plants in that bed that are obviously healthy (knock on wood) stay healthy? I know I should thoroughly remove bits and pieces of the sick squash, but since verticillium is soil-borne, that would still not eliminate the source of the problem, would it? How can I clean up (organically) so that the rest of my garden doesn't catch verticillium?

Once I am done cleaning up, can I plant anything at all in the same spot? Obviously, I will not plant a cucurbit there for a while, but I am wondering if there is a way I can still use the space.

I read somewhere that compost combats verticillium. I do have some excellent homemade leaf and vegetable compost that is ready right about now. Should I stick a bunch into the hole left by the sick plant?

I also read here on the forum that corn gluten is also efficient in battling verticillium. I have a huge bag of it in the shed. I know I should not sow any seed for the season once I have applied the corn gluten, but that bed was finalized for the season anyway, and it would only get an occasional herb transplant once in a while. Can anybody recommed using corn gluten to get rid of the verticillium?

Lastly, I was going to take all the soil out of my raised beds and store it for the winter to put it back next year (we will be building a new fence just behind the raised beds in the fall and we just can't avoid moving them to get the fence done). I would like to know if I should simply discard the soil from that raised bed instead of storing. It would be a pity as the raised bed is new and so is the soil, with all the nutritious goodies I mixed in as well. Would there be any alternatives to discarding the soil?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (16)