SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sneezer2

Mysterious symptoms - Verticillium Wilt, or something else?

sneezer2
15 years ago

It looks as if I've lost my entire year of tomato growing or close to it. On ten plants, I have the grand total of about thirty tomatoes. I'm expecting that most of these won't even ripen and that the ones that

do ripen will not be very good. All the plants are diseased, some being in worse condition than others.

Some will die soon while others may linger on and on.

I'm fairly well satisfied that the culprit is verticillium wilt but I don't understand some of the

symptoms. Maybe some of you do understand or have seen the same thing. I've looked at as many websites

dealing with tomato diseases as I can stand and none of them seems to have a definitive answer. Also,

I have printed material for identification of diseases. I've tried cooperative extension without any

real help and even shot emails off to strangers who appear to be studying topics that could help. All

with no result.

The lower leaves of the plants started to show yellowing and dieback in early July after a wet and

cloudy June. Fungicide application seemed to slow the progress but not much. By now, most of the lower

leaves on some plants are afflicted while a couple of others are not too bad. The expected vee shape

of the lesions turned up fairly quickly, though now the disease is advanced enough that you couldn't

find that aspect of it. No bullseyes. All of my plants are scrawny and small. By now they should be huge

and, in fact, some of the seedlings I gave away are huge. The biggest of mine is about four feet tall and so

spare that you can see right through it.

So far, so ordinary but there are additional symptoms too. The tops of the plants are still growing or,

more accurately, trying to grow. The shoots appear to be longer than normal and the leaves are all

crinkly and small. Dark green with no spots. The very newest leaves have more of a yellowish tinge but

they soon turn green like the rest. Flower buds have been getting 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch in length

before turning black or dark brown and dropping off. I have seen no insects.

I've thought of the possibility of a virus infection in addition to wilt and have checked many websites

with photos but none of the named virus infections seems to be quite right. I'm wondering if these

upper level symptoms might be just a result of the vascular deficiencies occurring lower down but again,

nothing seems to click. All the descriptions I can find of verticillium wilt mention the lower leaf

problems but none of them mention the other symptoms.

Right now, I'm just letting them continue to see if anything else develops but pretty soon I will have

to do something. Has any of you had similar problems or found measures to take?

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus