SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dunwaukin

co-parenting in the hen house

dunwaukin
17 years ago

I had two hens who decided to go broody the same day. One was sitting on about 15 eggs, the other decided to brood right beside her. Somehow, she managed to get about half of the eggs away.

For 21 days they sat side-by-side. Chicks hatched. I have 2 little chick pens in the hen house to keep chicks safe for the first little while. So we separated the hens, gave them the chicks that were underneath them.

They were side-by-side, but went frantic pacing up and down. So I moved them in together into the larger pen. I thought it might be the biggest mistake, but..

Well, they are co-parenting. Sometimes one breaks up feed and feeds the hungry ones, while the other broods the tired ones.

I went out once to-day, and one hen was having a dust bath, while the other had all 10 underneath her. [They did step on two the first day.] There has been no fighting, i can't believe it. The chicks don't seem to know who is their real mom, or even care.

They may have to move out sooner than I normally would move them, as it's not built big enough for two hens, though it has had as many as thirteen chicks.

Besides, I have one hen with at least five chicks hatching today, who needs the other pen, and another hen just started setting on a dozen eggs.

Now, how many will be roosters :^(

Comment (1)