SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
splishsplashwaves

Quick help needed -- horse manure and vegetables!

splishsplashwaves
15 years ago

Hi, I'm new here, but I've been searching the archives. I am attempting to plant a garden; I have seedlings and plants waiting to go into the garden but have been slowed down by heavy rains in the past month.

I was intending to do some raised beds in layers. I've put down black landscape cloth on top of the weeds, and then I added a couple of inches of peat moss. Then from a local farmer, I just got a big load of horse manure mixed with a bit of pine sawdust bedding and some uneaten hay. I put several inches of that on top of the peat moss (about 4") and was intending to top that with a couple more inches of peat moss, plus maybe some bone and/or blood meal and possibly some wood ashes.

However, now I'm wondering if that was a bad idea, as looking through the archives says that fresh horse manure may burn the plants, and it may poison the vegetables! (I don't know if the farmer feeds the horses organically, if that matters.) I really don't want to poison my family!

So help, please! Should I not use the couple of beds I've started thus far? Should I let the manure compost until next spring and then use it? (I don't think I have time to let it break down this year, as it's already getting late.)

If I shouldn't use it this year, what would you recommend I do? I had wanted to use raised beds to make weeding easier and to avoid having to dig/till, but maybe that's not a good idea this year. I have room to start over if need be. Could I dig enough to loosen the existing soil, cover with landscape cloth to keep down weeds, and then make small holes in the cloth as needed to plant my plants?

Many thanks for the help! It seems the more I read, the more confused I get!

Comments (4)