SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andi956

Too many options & unable to decide! Porch, door, etc

andi956
17 years ago

Hey everyone,

I wonder if youÂd offer your advice. I am trying to make some headway on my small "cottage" with my small budget. My house photos can be seen at

http://s77.photobucket.com/albums/j49/andi956/.

This summer, I posted about wanting to do some exterior landscaping. Nothing has yet been done as IÂm a bit paralyzed with options. The big issue is that before landscaping, I *first* I want to add a porch or gabled roof of some kind, even just a cute covering like the ones on my photobucket page. Something for more curb appeal. The trick is that my door is so far left of the house that it wonÂt allow a gabled roof. Some folks kindly suggested a flat roof, but I just feel I need some depth that a gable would provide.

Recently I saw a house that gave me an idea. ItÂs the yellow house with a lattice addition in the photobucket album. Doing something like that would help visually center my door which is necessary

A guy who helps with me the house said he could do an *enclosed* storage space on the side of the house that I could cover with siding to match. If we did that, we could extend the roof line left but would such a thing look odd since it would just out on the side?

We have about 7 feet from the current side of the house to the driveway. I'd say 5 feet of lattice or storage could go there. (We are not wedded to the landscaping on the side. There's about 4 feet on the *side* of the house from the corner to the first window where an enclosed box would go

Also, we could move the door a bitÂmaybe a foot in. (Currently, thereÂs just over 5 feet of space from the door to the first window on the front of the house. Is it worth it, financially? (WeÂre also considering side lights on all sides. Â I have no idea what something like that might cost, construction-wise.)

I'm just not sure of the best way to go to center my door and allow some kind of pitched roof.

1. Lattice addition (cheap) but would that work? Would have to start the gable over the house, not on the lattice part, obviously.

2. Enclosed addition to the side...more expensive. But, would allow gable further left, I think, so the gable would weight the house on the left side. It would be nice to have extra storage for tools and outdoor cushions, etc) But, IÂve never seen such a thing!

Other ideas?

Is it worth it to move the door, too? Or, should we do the lattice or built in and seeÂthen add the gableÂthen move the door?

Drowning in options and unable to decide!

Any and all ideas (including new ones) appreciated. IÂd love to get moving on landscaping, but want to have the porch done, etc first.

Thanks!!

Comments (13)