SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimcoco

How many trees are too many?

kimcoco
14 years ago

Hw do you determine the limit of trees on your property with relation to available space? I am going for the English-garden feel in my yard, a very private cozy space.

Two years ago it was a clematis addiction. This year it's trees.

We live on small lots, practically on top of our neighbors, so I have trees and shrubs placed strategically around my yard.

On 1/8 acre, and this is just my back yard, I have a Heptacodium, Popple, 2 red japanese maples - fern leaf and Emperor I, a Smaragd arborvitae, in addition to shrubs - 2 smokebush, a mature lilac shrub, 5 purple leaf sandcherries growing into a tree form, a row of privet shrubs, a Rose of Sharon tree/shrub and an Enkianthus tree/shrub, boxwood, etc, etc., and soon to add another - either Autumn Brilliance Serviceberry or Kousa Dogwood.

My only regret is the popple (didn't know any better); it suckers like mad, and grows like a weed. Overall, I like the effect and privacy everything provides, so far it works.

Everything is placed at appropriate distances, but wondering if this is going to affect the quality of my soil or available nutrients? I plan on adding a layer of composted manure in the spring, and we treat our lawn each year with organic fertilizers / weed preventive (Cockadoodle Doo)...should I be doing anything else?

I'm assuming this in itself will create my own "microclimate" in my yard? How does this work?

Comments (17)