SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

Winter project... input welcome

Winter is definitely on its way so it's time to consider garden projects we can work on indoors and keep boredom at bay! I'm mulling over ideas to do something to add interest to the property line/fence on the NW side of the woodland garden. Like the rest of the fences here, the fence is chainlink - but a cheap plastic sort with an unattractive(!) metal shed on the neighbour's side and an uninteresting view of their rather boring backyard (for the past several years the house has been a rental property that will, no doubt, be torn down some day and replaced with something several times its current size...)

At this point I'm playing around with the idea of building a trompe l'oeil arbour against the fence, aligned with the path leading in from the north side of the lawn to under the pines. Pardon the extremely crude drawing - this is my starting point idea:

{{gwi:51442}}

Obviously that is not going to hide the shed but it should certainly pull your eyes away from it! I'm thinking of building it on a 4'x 8'sheet of exterior grade plywood, attached to 4x4 posts that would be part of the trompe l'oeil arbour. I'm debating several alternatives for the center portion. It could be a painted path that leads to a mirror at the end (I'd rather not use glass - anyone know where to look for a polished metal mirror? I'm not having a lot of success looking on-line at this point...) Another alternative would be to exercise my amateur art talents (?!) and paint a path that leads to, say, a pond beyond the end of the arbour. Since the side facing the neighbour would otherwise be blank, I thought perhaps I could practise on that side first and then do a - hopefully - more 'polished' painting on our side! The arbour would be a painted image on the back side but made with lath afixed to the plywood on our side for a more 3-D effect - or maybe it would be simplier to use lath on both sides...

I'm debating mirror vs. painting (art talent aside :-) because a painting would have a fixed season. I'm not sure if an arbour leading to a summer scene would look peculiar or magical when the rest of the surroundings are covered in snow in the winter! (Mind you, we spend zero time down there in winter!) A mirror would eliminate that problem - but might not be as much fun to do! I could even do one side with the mirror and one with the painting and then construct it in such a way that I could reverse the panel when the scene became too out of sync with the season.

What do you think? Any suggestions...?

Comments (19)