SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16647

Slate tile...any input is welcome & appreciated

User
15 years ago

We're updating our kitchen with plans to reface & change out the fronts of the cabinets in a couple years. At present, we have the walls painted a warm yellow that compliments our cabinets which are honey colored oak. They're in really good condition just a bit yellowish in tone. We've ordered a darker granite in verde peacock for the counters, have SS appliances and darker walnut flooring. My problem is the backsplash. The kitchen is not tiny but it's not hugh either. It's a U shape with wrap around cabinets, and it lacks interest. The stove has a higher back, and we have the microwave installed over it. So basically the backsplash will only cover the 18-20 inch space on 3 walls including the portion behind the stove. There is no where for a focal point, it's all cabinets everywhere. (Storage is great, but without quesiton, it's the most boring floor plan) The room only has 1 smaller window over the sink and the room tends to be a little dark.

We found a beautiful slate tile called Baoding Creme, it comes in lighter shades of gray, creme and reddish gold that compliment the cabinets as they are now and will match most anything we change them to in the future. My problem is two fold,

1. the look of the tile to seems rustic to me and I'm trying to accomplish a more updated transitional look. So I'm wondering if slate will clash with that style or if it works with other styles too.

2. Even though it has the creme and lighter tones in it, it still seems darker than maybe I should go. Has anyone seen or have the lighter slate installed that can offer some input on this? Does it abosorb light an make rooms darker? I looked through the galleries but it didn't seem to help. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for the help.

Comments (12)