SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flower51_gw

unique problem

flower51
16 years ago

We are moving to a place in the country that backs up to a beautiful pond. The challenge? The property sits close to a state road. VERY BUSY w/traffic (trucks etc...) and the sounds that come with it. Our neighbors have recently cut down a mature stand of trees that helped give some shelter from the noise and view of traffic. Still we see potential and thought of putting in a naturalized woodsy garden in the front and along the side of the house to attract birds (I'd rather hear birdsong than trucks) and also shelter from the site and sounds of traffic.

The plan was to layer bushes and trees that are of the shallow root varieties since there is a well in the front yard and we don't want invasives heading for the basement. Also thought of moving some of the larger stones that are on the back property to make a low stacked stone section at the road to help cut down on sound from tires. The other challenging aspect is the gravely yard.

Right now there are red berried eunymous along one side punctuated w/a not so happy pine. Near the pine I planted oakwood hydrangea which I'm hoping will be a happy rambling cover from the side view of the road. This seems to be the only section of the frontyard w/out gravel.

THE CHALLENGE: We eagerly brought out some little seedlings the birds had planted on our old property. Plunged the shovels in and found that there is only 1 or 2 inches of soil under the grass...the rest is...gravel. Gravel coated dirt but mostly gravel.

We considered trying to shovel out as much as possible and replace it w/dirt but that seems unrealistic w/me and a shovel doing the work considering it covers most of the front yard. We decided to bring in dirt to mound on top of the yard in two "meandering" beds BUT 1. How far from the maple's roots would I need to leave open to protect the roots so the tree doesn't die? and

2. For the sake of keeping it woodsy, and green even in winter, we're thinking we'd need to put in some kind of evergreens amongst the deciduous naturalized hedge we want to put in to create a layered effect. Something that looks like it "just grew that way in a woodsy way" Wanting to do it in the least expensive way we can and yet have it come in looking lush, informal and like a planned by God natural habitat. What bushes/trees would you recommend that are shallow rooted enough that they would not threaten the well, basement or, once we get to the side and backyard area, the septic field?

We've brought in two truckloads of top soil this week, making two raised beds that surround the maple, about 5 ft from the base of the maple. Planted in the sunnier/light shade bed: emerald green thuja (will get 10-16 feet), lady in red hydrangea, henry scarlet sweetspire that has a lovely asiatic look with its freeform branching, globe thuja that spreads but stays low, oak leaf hydrangea, white rhodydendrons, lemon thyme amongst the rock border and some lillies. I still need to put something large to screen us from the road at the tip of the bed nearest the road, in both beds (to the left and right of the maple). Suggestions? Keep in mind we don't want roots invading the well or the driveway.

What else? In the shadier bed to the left of the maple I planted a red rhodendron and transplanted some lilly of the valley and prob will put in some hostas. What understory trees would you suggest that would add interest and make things look "naturalized" and yet private...and encourage birds to come by?

I've seen pictures of something called an "acer maple" that looks like a small maple that becomes bright orange/red in the fall and grows more like a bush than a tree. Are these invasive roots??? Do they need much sun? Would they provide decent shelter and be a sound barrier from the traffic or should I go for evergreens? I was thinking if I layer the bushes/trees even if there are some less dense growth patterns, the layering would help cut down the sound and view of the street.

Thanks! Terry

Comments (7)