SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dabunch_gw

Window condensation. Unsolved problem. Help!

dabunch
16 years ago

I read the reasons for condensation on this forum & I understand it.We live in the NE. We have a unique problem.

We have condesation on all of our windows. The humidifier does not turn on(supposedly, it only turns on IF necessary). I guess it doesn't need to becasue the Heat/AC guy played with it & said that it's fine. I don't cook much, if ever. We boil water for tea occasionally & shower, of course. The bathrooms are closed so the humidity does not travel to the rest of the house. I've experimented with this. We are at our wits end. Nobody has an answer. What gives? Pleas help!

We moved into a Brand new constructed house (2500 sqft, with a master bedroom downstairs) end of February 07. When the inspector came he noticed about 1 inch of condensation on the bottom of all the windows. One window had a broken seal. That was replaced. He wasn't sure why this was happening. He thought maybe a new house... he went up to the attic & said that some kind of mesh needs to be sliced through so the attic can breath. Other than that we left things alone.

I called the foreman. He came out & looked at the attic & said that the "mesh" or whatever, is how it's supposed to be. It's actually not a mesh. It just looks like one. He said the ROOF/attic are correctly ventilated. That's how they do all their houses.

Fast foward to this winter. I noticed the condensation as the weather got colder. There would be 1 inch on the bottom. It would be gone by noon. THEN IT SEEMED TO HAVE LESSENED.

When we got our first snow, which is STILL on the roof (North/ South exposure) I noticed the condensation on the windows again. Today, the weather got extremely cold & the windows were just unbelievable-3 inches of condensation & a couple of them looked almost all condensated. The seals are not broken. I know what that looks like.

I hope it's nothing big like poor roof ventilation, despite what the foreman says. This is a custom home, which is a bit different than their typical colonials...I don't want my house to get moldy or the roof to rot.

Anyone know who I can call for an expert opinion?

TIA

Comments (7)