SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suggi1

Condensation between single pane picture window and storm window

suggi
15 years ago

Summertime and very heavy rains in MA and there is quite a bit of condensation between the "fixed" picture window and the outside storm window...it is on the "outer side of the single pane glass"--not on the side inside the house. It is part of a window that has smaller windows attached that open on both sides of the picture window. These 2 windows that open were replaced in 1996 with Harveys and the middle remained untouched. Last year I noticed bugs were getting in somehow in the 3" or so gap between the outer storm and fixed inside window. My husband caulked around the window as we couldn't figure out where they were coming in and one "hinge type thing" was missing and he put clear caulk in that little space there also. Since then occasionally when there is a great deal of rain, condensation builds up in between the two and he has since been diagnosed with a herniated disc and can not get the storm window out (much too heavy - large window) to even wipe it dry in there.....plus now the caulking would make it more difficult.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to fix this problem or even what could be wrong. The weep holes on the bottom are open. I am worried about mold in there as it is 3 days since the rain stopped and it is still in there with a few lines of water running down along the outer side of the inside window. We have no one to help us (relative or friend) and I am 70 and have severe osteoporosis and can not help him.

The times it happened before it did dry out in a couple of days but there is high heat and humidity outside and it is still hanging around and it is going to rain again. We have the a/c set on 76 degrees. HELP please.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville