SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
klncatz

Ice Between Panes on New Dual Pane Windows

klncatz
15 years ago

This summer I purchased new dual-pane casement windows. They are supposed to be Energy Start rated, and are advertised as "dual pane, argon enhanced, insulated". The company I purchased them from indicates lower energy bills as one of their benefits. When I moved in 10 years ago, I had single-pane windows and never noticed condensation on the inside of the windows. Now, in addition to condensation on some of the windows, I have noticed what looked like ice drops between the two panes of glass on several of the windows when the temperature was around 10 degrees or lower. I have gas heat, and deliberately kept my thermostat set at the same temperature as last year so I could compare gas usage on my utility bill. The gas usage appears to be the same or marginally higher, and the average temperature for the month seems to be the same according to the comparison my utility company includes with the bill. I'm wondering if the ice between the panes and no improvement in gas usage indicates defective or broken seals.

Comments (6)