SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bindersbee

Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down- a discussion of common techniques

bindersbee
17 years ago

So, I thought it might be fun to do a thumbs up/ thumbs down (green thumbs of course) review of common landscape techniques. Now, I realize that almost every technique has a valueable use in some place or another- same with most plants. However, I'm talking about the general things that are done repeatedly in many residential landscapes. So, if it is the rule/ usually a good idea, thumbs up. If it is tacky (in your opinion) or generally poorly done/ bad idea, thumbs down. We're talking about the rule moreso than the exceptions to it. Be brave, it's okay to have an opinion that goes against the grain!

Here are some of mine:

Thumbs Up- Wide small tree/ shrub borders (minimum 12 feet) around the perimeter of a rear yard to provide privacy, interest etc.

Thumbs Down- Island beds. They usually sort of float in the lawn with no real connection to anything or rhyme and reason to their shape. Usually a design no-no in my book (yes, there are some exceptions, particularly if the island is large which rarely occurs in a residential setting).

Thumbs Up- Providing more hardscape in the yard. People often cheap out on this due to initial expense (I've been guilty myself).

Thumbs Down- Having a no-grass or hardscape front yard (just plants) for the average homeowner. I say this because it's one of those things that looks amazing when someone who is knowledgeable about plants, design and especially maintenance does it- and looks like a nightmare within a couple of years in a yard where someone is clueless about gardening. It either becomes an overgrown mess or, worse, a 'zeroscape' with a few spotty plants floating in lava rock.

Thumbs Up- Creating soft berms that some think of as 'burial mounds'. I know not everyone likes this but, heck. I do. They shouldn't be the White Cliffs of Dover or anything- perched above the lawn at a step slope- but I think it looks better when they are at least 6-12 inches higher than the lawn at the crown of the berm.

Thumbs Down- Water features which have a waterfall that's not built into a natural slope. There are other ways to get the sound of cascading water for a pond than to create a big fake mountain on an otherwise flat lot. It just looks oddly unatural- even if the pond in general is well done.

Agree, disagree, add some new ones if you want.

Comments (21)