SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bobbif_gw

Need help choosing material for front walkway

bobbif
17 years ago

I would appreciate any input on choosing material for a new front walkway. We live in the north central Connecticut, and have a 1920s colonial house with white stucco siding, light blue trim, slate roof, and a black wrought iron fence, that faces out on a fairly busy street. The walkway is about 35 feet long, 4 feet wide. The stoop (just one step high) is concrete. The walkway is currently regular pattern bluestone that is cracked, and the stones have shifted and come up in many places. We will probably put the house on the market within a couple of years, so I'm also concerned about how it will look to prospective buyers. My landscaper thinks that the concrete pavers (I like the tumbled ones from Belgard and Unilock) would last longer than bluestone and look better to prospective buyers. I think the blue (as opposed to full color) bluestone goes best with the house, color wise, but I agree that there is a finished look of the tumbled concrete pavers that is appealing. I am increasingly confused by the many different paver colors and combinations available. One dealer told me generally to mix greys and mix tans, but never mix the two. As I drive around my neighborhood, I think that the muted walkways look better than when people have tried to bring in color, which I have considered doing to match the many-hued slate roof. But I have to say that I fell in love with a new Unilock color called Coffee Creek which looks orange in the brochure but at the dealers lookes like a mix of very muted colors much like our slate roof. Then I think I should do a mix of light and dark grey paver, or perhaps just the dark pavers. Also, should I go with the standard paver sizes or the larger ones such as Unilock stonehenge or Belgard's mega-bergerac- are those only appropriate for larger areas such as patios. As you can see, I'm lost. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments (22)