SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamiedolan_gw

Soil Changes for Indoor Succulents that are in trouble

jamiedolan
13 years ago

As much as I dearly love Turface, and have not had a single problem with it used outside, I've very recently realized that the minimally screened turface I have been having such great success with does not dry fast enough for smaller succulents when in the house. I have several succulents that are currently suffering in turface. Though my Giant Jade, seems quite pleased with it's 90% turface 10% compost mix. Looking back, I wish I had mixed in grit or something else fast instead of the 10% compost, but as you can see due to it's size, it is a big deal to change the soil without damage to the jade. (I don't water it much at all and it is kind of growing like a weed)

Giant Jade:

{{gwi:55154}}

However, my small Jades that were doing well outside about a month ago are now showing signs of being over-watered, even with fairly limited watering. (They are under the bright lighting setup in the basement)

Here is what I have on hand to work with:

Top Row from Left to Right:

Perlite, Turface

Bottom Row from Left to Right:

#3 Grit, #1 Grit, and Pine Bark Mulch from Lowes

{{gwi:55155}}

I was thinking about using this mix as you had suggested in a post about succulent soil mix:

3 parts Turface

3 parts crushed granite (farm feed store)

3 parts pine or fir bark (see photo for size)

1 part coarse silica sand (masonry supply company)

1 part vermiculite

But I think my pine bark may be a bit too large. I also have not found sand that I think is coarse enough, it all seem to fine and compacts too easily (it was from masonry supply companies and I bought both types they sold).

The vermiculite I use (what I can find for a reasonable price) is ground fine and tends to make mixes extremely heavy and take forever to dry. (I'd tend to call it worse than peat with how much water it holds)

I really have to make a change on several plants tomorrow or they are going to rot.

Should I use the sand / the pine bark / vermiculite I have and make the mix as you have directed or would I be okay with something more simple, such as just adding perlite or one of the granite grits to turface and screening them both?

I Might know where to get my hands on some Horticultural Grade Diatomaceous Earth, but I suspect it is going to be $$$ to use in any quantity.

Thanks

Jamie

P.S. I do have air flow on the indoor plants under the lights and it is still not drying fast enough, it is at least 70 down there with all the heat from the lights, it may even be warmer. My succulents are all starting to get squishy.

Comments (24)