SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trilliuminpdx

best indoor lights for troubled citrus?

trilliuminpdx
18 years ago

Hi all,

I have a kaffir lime and kalamansi that I bought from Four Winds Growers 3 weeks ago. I planted them in a combination of rose potting mixture (2/3) and the cedar shavings (1/3) they were shipped with, as the 4 Winds people recommended. They say to avoid peat moss, so I did. I also mixed in 1/4 c of Whitney Farms citrus fertilizer into the 16 inch pot. I was banking on a nice sunny summer here in Portland, OR to give them a head start on bringing them indoors for the winter. So far that sun just hasn't materialized. They're outside in a southern exposure. I haven't watered them ever, but one time the rain snuck up on me and they got drenched overnight. The moisture meter reads between moist and wet at the bottom of the pot, the top of the pot is dry. The new growth on the kaffir arrived wilted and has never recovered. The kalamansi arrived with spotted yellow leaves which have since turned yellow and dropped off, and I think even more are dropping off. 4 Winds told me the spots were sun burns from where the water was on the leaves and they'd replace it if it didn't do well in a month or so.

I'm wondering if I should just bring them inside and under grow lights. I'm worried that the combination of getting drenched in the rain and the overcast days we've been having is too much for them.

I would really like some recommendations for good lights to use if I bring them indoors.

thanks,

trillium

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer