SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fabaceae_native

Giving up on indoor citrus... convince me otherwise?

fabaceae_native
11 years ago

I've been growing citrus plants in pots as indoor/outdoor plants for close to ten years now, but I cut back to three plants this year and am now seriously considering getting rid of all of them.

The novelty of having citrus has certainly worn off:
At first I would coddle the plants, watching them constantly for the next flush of growth, flowers, and fruit. I did not mind the extra work of caring for them, and the small harvest of fruit throughout the year was a miracle.
Now I am simply fed up with the chronic problem of scale, and a few lemons or kumquats now and then does not make up for the fact that the plants look horrible at times and make a sticky mess on the sunroom floor.

I've tried pretty much all the standard treatments for scale, but all have been temporary at best.

On top of this, much of the citrus at the local Trader Joe's is fantastic (barring the lackluster kumquats or the occasional bad navel orange). I usually hate it when others pull this "why do you spend so much time and effort to grow your own when they are so good and cheap from the store?" bit, but when I'm tired of the time and effort, I agree.

Do I just sound jaded, or are others out there dealing with these same issues? How many of you have tried growing hardy citrus outdoors instead (trading work dealing with pests for work protecting from the elements)?

Thanks for listening...

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville