SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
justaguy2

How to fertilize appropriately

justaguy2
15 years ago

Seems this time of year a lot of question pop up that more or less say 'my plant is having problems, do I need to fertilize and if so, with what'.

When growing in the ground the only way to know for sure what is lacking (or excessively present) is a soil test.

After the soil test I think some of you might appreciate this link.

The link shows tissue analysis of many vegetables which indicates what nutrients are present in the plant and in what amounts. It can serve as a valuable aid in conjunction with a soil test to determine what nutrients would be of most benefit to the plant.

One thing I think many will find shocking is that next to no plant on earth really needs much phosphorous (the middle number in the NPK analysis) and most require more calcium, magnesium and sulfur than they do phosphorus.

I think many will also be surprised that many plants regarded as high consumers of nitrogen (like lettuce) actually require twice as much potassium as they do nitrogen. In the case of corn, it consumes the same amount of K as it does N.

Tissue analysis is a pretty exciting area to me as it reveals precisely what nutrients healthy plants are taking up and dispels the myths surround plant nutrition.

I hope you will benefit from the information.

Comments (9)