SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Pics (& a few questions) about my in-progress bluestone hardscape

Valerie Noronha
16 years ago

Below are some pictures of my in-progress Connecticut Blue stone patio and retaining wall. The contractors have just started veneering the retaining wall.

{{gwi:46627}}

{{gwi:46628}}

I had selected tumbled bluestone for the wall--smaller and thinner pieces for the seat wall and chunckier pieces for the seat cap. One worker suggested today that we do bullnose brick instead for the seat cap and I was wondering what others thought about that. Below is a picture of some of the seat caps I had placed along the top to give a feeling for that look.

{{gwi:46629}}

Do you think this would work or should we consider the brick (which would add more color and echo the brickwork surrounding the patio)? If I were to keep the blueston seat wall pieces, I would like minimal (or no) cutting--or if they do, could the edges be chipped up to look worn?

The patio is not grouted yet. Any suggestions on color?

Also, would appreciate thoughts and advice on sealing and/or enhancing as well as recommended products to use.

Lastly, I have a question about the birch trees. Ours are the small ones which are pretty well dwarfed by the neighbor's more mature trees.

{{gwi:46630}}

We started with four birch trees--one died so we removed it and will also need to remove the one in the center--not only is it lopped off at the top, but the base looks like it is rotting out so that will go as well. I am debating if we should replace with another in the center--or stick to some low lying shrubs--hostas, etc. My concerns are both that it does not get much light and with 5 trees already there (from what was originally 8 between ours and our neighbor) there are roots all over the place underground and a new tree won't be able to spread it's own roots. In fact our left most one does not seem to be thriving either(which granted was not watered much in past year while our house was being remodeled). Are there too many trees planted in close proximity for a new tree to thrive? Our trees, being small, do not get much direct sunshine--or at least the one to the right does not. Advice and suggestions welcome.

Comments (7)