SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
angie_diy

Progress pics and grout color question!

angie_diy
12 years ago

Hi,

I am wrapping up the envelope of the kitchen, so I thought I would post some progress pics. I also am seeking opinions on a grout color for the new floor pictured at the end, so please weigh in!

Late last year, we got the new windows in. This one is an out-swinging, French-door casement:

and took out a couple more doors and replaced them with arches to match the others in the house. I installed the arch, but we thank our drywaller for her artistry on the plaster. (Yes, her artistry.)

Here was the inspiration for our color scheme; the vintage kitchens website describes it as "rust, pale yellow, and sage green."

Welllll, something went awry on the way to 1930. Here is the yellow that we (oops) chose:

It is much brighter and more saturated than we anticipated. Actually, very little of this will be showing once the cabs and backsplash are in. We are going to leave it until after the install; if we don't like it then, I'll repaint at that time.

You may recall that our range will be under a window. We decided to commission a stained-glass panel to install over the fixed window. This was mostly to obscure the view to/from our neighbor's kitchen. It just came in:

The final piece is this checkerboard floor, set on the diagonal. I also installed an electric radiant floor heater under it. We chose 6x6 tiles of two different colors of travertine, viz., salmon/coral and tan/cream. I cut them from 12x12 tiles in an effort to give a more vintage look, as some of you may remember from a thread where I was asking advice on this. (Interestingly, most people on GW favored 12x12, and everyone locally that I brought into see samples, including an architect, voted for the 6x6. I really like it!)

Now, this is not yet enhanced, sealed, or grouted. I would really like some help with grout suggestions. The grout width is 5/32". The cutting and laying went well, but not perfectly, so there are some variations in the grout width and alignment. Hence, I would like to pick a color that does not "pop out," but rather fades into the background. Here is a closeup. (That bright blob in the bottom center is a reflection of the naked ceiling light fixture.)

Any suggestions on a color for this grout? As always, I am grateful for your help in this project!

Comments (33)