SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thesteadyright

How would you landscape light the front of my house?

TheSteadyRight
9 years ago

Hey folks,

I'm in the planning stages to illuminate the front of my Garrison Colonial home and would greatly appreciate any input. I realize the phrase "landscape lighting" is a little lost considering we don't have much in the way of landscaping, but, ya know, baby steps. We've only been here a year (and if you'd only seen the before photos...).

My current plan is 4-5 pathway lights spread evenly across the house, and staggered on each side of the walk way. I'm also considering uplighting/wall washing the front. The face of the house is 32', so I figured 2-3 would do the trick. Yes, our little neo-colonial doesn't have much in the way of interesting features, but in the future we're considering a nice, traditional brick 1st floor that may be uplight worthy.

What I'm questioning most is how the uplighting would look with the window boxes. The lights would need to be sufficiently in front of the boxes so as to illuminate the front of them avoid nasty shadows, but I don't want them on the wrong side of the walkway to avoid blinding guests.

So, think 5 path lights is overkill for 32'? Would downlighting (via the overhang, which we see a lot of in our neighborhood) be better than uplighting? Or should I focus on accenting a specific area, like the door? Or forget that all together?

And to throw a major wrench in things... I'm open to less modern landscape lighting such as a small light post at the start of the walk way. Decisions, decisions...

Appreciate any input as I'm a first timer. :) Thanks in advance!

Comments (3)