SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarahlynnwhite

cat problem...safe to plant???

sarahlynnwhite
14 years ago

Hi! Here's the problem... I have 3 cats, who in their senior years have taken to using the nice soft dirt in my veggie garden for their "business." I have fenced off my garden and do my best to keep them out, but when the gate is open and I am in the garden I always catch them sneaking in... I found a few areas that had old dried up feces... I cleaned them up, but is the soil in that area safe to use... does the weather wash the bacterias away or just spread them out... is there something I can do to "clean" the soil?? Large farms don't have fences around their huge crops to keep cats and other critters out... also, is it safe to plant where they have urinated? I must sound a little paranoid, but I was told once that eating veggies grown where a cat has gone to the bathroom can make you really sick... I am pretty confident that over the winter they frequented the empty beds and there is no way of knowing where all the "used areas" are. One of them also has hyper thyroid disease and takes several medications...

also, last year I cut back on the veggies and planted mostly flowers. Is it ok to go back and forth between flowers and veggies in the same space? This year I want to plant more veggies. Growing my own veggies is supposed to make me feel better about what I am eating, yet with my cat problem I am more concerned. Thanks for any help you can give.

Comments (15)