SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sckitchen_gardener_8

Squash Vine Borers are here in Charleston, SC

All my squash plants were clean last night, but this morning there were eggs.

As a novice starting out, the Squash Vine Borer (SVB) has been one of my biggest challenges. Being clueless, then frustrated, then trying to educate myself has taken a lot of time. I know this may be old news for some, but for the newbies, what I am posting about may help in identifying and dealing with this pest. You can google to see what the moth looks like. You can also google to see the eggs.

The challenge is how to deal with them. I have scoured the internet for effective proven methods, and there are none. I try to stay organic, so using a pesticide which will destroy all beneficial insects such as dragonfly, lacewing, lady bugs, etc., is not an option.

The damage to the squash plant , or Zucchini plant, is done when the egg left by the female adult wasp, matures and a small "worm" borrows through the stem to gain access to the hollow middle core of the main stem or vine of the plant. Here it spends its life protected and gorging on the inside membranes of the stem of the plant.

In my garden, the female moth has already visited. The eggs have already been laid. The eggs are deposited all over the plant. On leaves, on stems, on undersides of stems, on blossoms, everywhere. They are tiny, but easy to see and pick off and destroy. But there are so many, I suspect even the most determined gardener will miss a few. That is where I am at. I am trying my best, but I know, right now, the plants probably will not make it another month, as some of the eggs will hatch, the worms will borrow in, and make residence,and I will not know it. There are tell-tell signs of a worm inside the stem - frass, or waste, will eventually exit, usually from the hole used to gain entrance. If you can see the frass (looks like yellow sawdust), and suspect you have an active worm inside, you can remove him. You have to slit the vine lengthwise and hunt the thing down, remove and destroy it. As damaging as that sounds, it is less damaging than leaving the worm inside the stem.

Battle plans, even though I know the war is lost: I will inject BT, which is Thuricide or Bacillus Thuringiensis. I use a turkey baster or injector. It has a large needle. If I could find something smaller I would. However, the large turkey injector is probably safer - I am less likely to inject myself by accident.

This year, I will try Spinosad (actual product name is Conserve Naturalyte Insect Control). I have mixed feelings about using it, and will only use it when a pest is in the process of taking my plants. Which is now. The Spinosad is a solution which I'll mix up and spray on. The idea is the worm will take a bite of the stem as it bores in. If he ingests enough of the Spinosd, he will die within a couple days.

Anybody got any other ideas? How often will I need to apply the Spinosad?

I will be very careful not to spray inside an open flower. I was just outside hand pollinating with a brush and while I was pollinating, a small bee showed up and suggested I leave. I was very happy to oblige. There is a chance the Spinosad can affect the bees negatively, since they gather the pollen.

Sorry for such a long post. Just trying to improve my results, and help others by sharing, and asking the ones who have any additional experience and success to chime in.

Comments (9)