SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sustainabee

Squash Vine Borers, Trap advice

sustainabee
5 years ago

Hello!

It's the best and worst time of year here for me in central Texas. I get all this huge growth over spring but as exciting as it is, there are SVBs lurking and laying eggs on all my squash! Last year, I had pretty good success with manually removing seeds (yes, it's as difficult & time consuming as you can imagine) and cutting out the ones out that I missed. This year, I've spread my plants out so that there are different types of plants in each bed. My hope was to confuse the SVB and/or help mask whatever works to attract them to the plants. It didn't work, I ended up with SVB eggs on other plants nearby. I'm sure they'll instinctually migrate after hatching to the Squash. I know that I'll miss some SVB eggs but to prevent some from being laid I wanted to make some SVB traps. I also was planning to give the plants a good soak with Bt every other week so that I can hopefully kill any before they get into the vine. For the SVB traps, I was going to use gourds. I had planned on painting them yellow & green and cutting a small square near the top of the gourd for the Adults SVB to enter. Does anyone know how SVBs would be more attracted to the gourd? Can I use some part of the squash (flower/vine) to attract them or do I need to purchase a lure? I wasn't sure which type of pesticide would be best for this set up either. If anyone has ideas, I'd really appreciate your help!

Thank you! :)

Comments (19)