SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julianna_il

Squash vine borers on trap plant - what to do?

julianna_il
16 years ago

I planted some blue hubbard squash (and caserta) as trap plants in case my companion plants don't ward off the cucumber beetles.

The blue hubbard was just extraordinary, has baby fruits all over the place, etc. Yesterday it started wilting and I thought it needed water. Today same thing, but we'd gotten good rain overnight and I started looking. I haven't found the bugs yet, but I'm sure it's vine borers because the worst vines are totally hollowed out.

I'm going to try and hunt down the borers if I can and do all of that, but even if I don't find them...should I leave the squash anyway? Everything has wilted - I've given it a good dose of seaweed juice.

Since this is a trap plant, I'm less worried about the harvest than I am about neighboring plants.

I'm inclined to just leave it and let the borers have it, or would this encourage more borers to show up? It *is* a trap plant, after all. I have another blue hubbard and caserta in another part of the garden.

Trap planting is new to me, so once the bad guys come, I don't know whether to leave it and let them have it or pull it up and hopefully take the baddies with it.

Anyone?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!