SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tracydr

Bog/partial shade-anything edible that can grow?

tracydr
14 years ago

I'm in Arizona and believe or not, my worst problem is that my garden is located in a very, very wet spot in the yard. This is compounded by the fact that we have flood irrigation, even if we keep our gates closed. The irrigation floods right into the back end of my garden, the yard all apparently seeps/drains to the same place and my water level sits at about 3-6 inches from the surface some weeks. Needless to say, the tomatoes in the back of the garden are seriously struggling to survive.

Is there anything that enjoys having wet feet in a hot environment? I'm working on building that area up but I will have to build it by about 2 feet and I'm still not sure that will work. There is no other place to put a french drain as this is the lowest place in the yard.

This morning I woke up considering digging a hole and putting a sump-pump in it with a long hose out to the other side of the yard. I'm starting to obsess over this!!

Unfortunately, it is the only suitable place in my entire yard, due to shade, rocks, etc. I have other smaller gardens along the house and in the front of the house but this is still my largest area to garden.

I'd love to find some heat tolerant veggies (can okra tolerate wet?) that can handle bog conditions while I work on this problem.

Any ideas?

Comments (6)