SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nick_b79

Edible/wildlife-friendly shrubs for partial shade?

nick_b79
10 years ago

I'm looking for shrubs to plant along my property line this spring that will provide habitat and fruit for the birds and squirrels, as well as possibly fruit for me to cook with.

The location is along my property line with my neighbor. He has a thick row of white spruce on his side, and since the line runs N to S, my side of the yard receives sun in the morning until midday, when the spruces start to throw shade. The site has rich soil and is moist but well-drained (no standing water, slight slope for drainage).

I already have a 200-ft long shrub row/windbreak on the north side of my property line I planted two years ago that is a mixture of rugosa rose, juneberry, sea buckthorn, Techny arborvitae, American plum, hazelnut, Nanking cherry and Manchurian apricot. All of these are growing well so far from bareroot seedlings.

I have highbush cranberry and elderberry on my short list right now. Anyone have any other good choices I could throw in? I'll need at least 12 plants, so I can do two or three different species for variety. Thanks!

Comment (1)