SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
willowdawn

Hate everything in my yard!

17 years ago

Looking for any and all opinions on making my front yard more attractive. We bought this house almost a year ago and have worked mostly on the inside. Outside, mostly just trying to bring back the grass that the previous owners had let die.

{{gwi:43120}}

{{gwi:43122}}

{{gwi:43124}}

{{gwi:43126}}

The large Bradford Pear is too large, but does provide shade as the house faces due west. Under the windows on the left of the door are holly type bushes but they are not very attractive. The large holly, all the way to the left, can probably stay, but in front of the holly type things are three boxwood pom-poms. Then to the right of door are purple azaleas. Along the driveway the previous owners did about $20 worth of "curb appeal" and planted 4 hostas, 4 tiny boxwoods and 2 each lavendar mums and pink begonias. Down by the mailbox are some lovely irises. I added a large number of daffadils in front of the azaleas and under the bradford along with crocus at the mailbox and really close to the walkway. The tall spikey green things are a type of gladioulus which are pretty, but need something else to be planted with them. Oh, and I hate the "brick" edging material. They will go, once I formulate a plan.

I think a large part of my problem is I'm a California girl transplanted into the South. The house is called a colonial, but it has a bit more modern line to it, with no shutters, and I would like to emphasize the cleaner lines. I don't really care for the traditional southern suburban landscape. I don't LIKE azaleas. They are pretty for 1 week a year and then they are not that special. I would love to use ornamental grasses, as I love their texture and movement, but as much as I drive around my town, I have yet to see a garden that I would ask for the landscapers name. Would anyone like to give me some direction on where to start with this yard. This is my first yard and so I'm a little lost.

1. What should I replace the pear with? We are a military family so we will probably only live here 4 more years. So I would like something that I can enjoy, as well as have it thrive over the years.

2. Would grasses work under the windows? What do I plant with them?

3. Any thoughts on the drainage ditch area? It's very deep at the driveway, making it very difficult to mow.

4. Change the shape of the planting bed? Move the irises? or find something else to plant with them?

Thank you so much. Just feeling overwhelmed.

Willow

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath