SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diggerb2

spring bulbs in containers

diggerb2
17 years ago

I suppose i should search the forum, but now i'm writing so i'll ask anyway.

I was thinking about planting a large contatiner of spring bulbs to place on my drive way. How big should it be to

make it thru our zone 5 winter with little insullation?

i was hoping that a whiskey barrel would do the trick. I wanted to plant crocus, daffs, tulips and lilies. I like the idea of using small pots and moving them in and out of window boxes-- i will do this for my 4 boxes this year--

i'll just put those pots in with the bulbs i force for inside. I was thnking about using the whiskey barrel as a permament display with a dwarf flowering quince in the center.-- do i need to consider a larger pot? or more winter protection? (the barrels could be mounted on casters and placed right next to the house and then moved as spring approaches.

we use about 1/2 our drive as a sitting area/patio. currewntly i use the barrels in the summer for annuals to

mnark the edges of the 'patio' and thought to make them more interesting the other 7 months of the year as well as to provide a little more screening when we sit outside.

hopefully i will eventually have a happy flowering bush

artistically shaped surrounded by a diplay of spring bulbs,

summer annuals, and a low ground cover. then i could but little italian white lights on the bush and have the 'twinkle' at night all year long.

sounds nice, but can it be done in zone 5 and be self sustaining other than h2o and fertilizer as needed?

oh, and i'm that part of NE Ohio that doesn't get lots of snow cover all winter long.

diggerb

Comments (2)