SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
serveta

historic house front design--first steps

serveta
15 years ago

Hi

This post may be premature, since I'm new and haven't yet read all of the hundreds of old posts, but I'm so impressed with the responses I've read so far that I wanted to venture a question.

We're renovating/restoring an old (1860s) three-story mansard house in a historic district in the Northeast U.S. As part of our renovation we're removing some later add-on rooms from the front and substituting an open front porch that is designed as much as possible in keeping with the style and period of the house.

The front yard is level and quite shallow--I think no more than 15 feet from the sidewalk. The house faces south. I'd like to establish a largish perennial bed as part of the front area. I wonder if anyone has an off-the-cuff opinion about whether this should be close to the house, with lawn between it and the sidewalk, or close to the sidewalk (and curving around the corner), with lawn between it and the house?

I'm also considering--haven't decided yet--hiring a landscape designer. This would be new territory for me. If I were to do this, I would want to be sure the person was knowledgeable about Victorian landscaping conventions. I don't need the landscape and plantings to be absolutely historically authentic, but do want to avoid a more modern look. For example, our house would not have had foundation plantings (shrubs etc.) in its original era, so I don't want someone who will recommend yews and rhododendrons next to the house. How would I best go about finding such a person and vetting him or her?

Thanks, everyone, in advance.

Comments (11)