SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saoodhashim

Watering Potting Soil

saoodhashim
10 years ago

As I have seen a number of times that whenever watering container to water it until it starts to drain from the bottom.

However, one thing I note when I water the the potting soil (and I have tried three different potting mixes) is that they retain a lot of water. By just compacting it a little (while it is draining from the bottom), it releases a lot of water on top of the soil. Is this something normal with potting mixes.

Yesterday I bought a Rapitest mini moisture meter (measuring on a scale of 1 to 4 - with 1 being dry and 4 wet). I have not watered the plants in my pots for around three days and it has been around 105F at noon these days. While I have kept the pots under shade as soon as the temps go above 90F, when I checked them with this tester, I found it around 4. Also the top of the pots of one of my tomato plant has been blackish (the color of the soil when it is watered) and not the typical brownish when the soil has dried up.

Is this something normal with potting soil? What can I do to ensure that my plants are not water logged?

Comments (14)