SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rthomp_gw

Landscape Ideas in Phoenix, AZ area

rthomp
16 years ago

Hey folks,

This fall (probably late September or early October), I plan to revamp my landscape a bit and am looking for ideas. I have a small yard, all gravel, which currently has a couple of trees and a mixture of traditional desert plants and more typical bushes.

The main area that I'd like to plant something is my west yard. This is a patch around 4' wide that runs the length of the house. I plan to extend my drip system so I have water all down the side, but there will be no shade in the afternoons, so the plants will have to be well-suited to the climate. I'd like these plants to shade my house in the afternoons as much as possible, so I'm looking for something fairly dense and ideally something that will grow up to 8-10 feet tall. Flowers would be nice, but aren't necessary.

I have a little bit more room in the northwest corner of my yard and am thinking about adding a small tree. I've looked at a few nurseries, and I really like the look of the Madagascar palms. Anyone have any experience with those?

Finally, there are a couple of bushes north of my house that I'm considering ripping out. I'm pretty flexible with what goes there since shade is not a concern. Replacement bushes are one possibility, but I was also considering a small cactus or two. Any strong recommendations?

As you can see, I'm still looking for ideas, so anything would be welcome. Thanks!

Comments (4)