SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
waterbug_guy

Building garden in Phoenix AZ

waterbug_guy
9 years ago

I'm building a Japanese inspired stroll garden in Phoenix and am posting pictures of progress in the Arizona Gardening forum. Due to our hot dry climate, humidity under 10% for part of the year my plant selection is limited.

We have a Japanese Friendship Garden here in Phoenix which I'm very familiar with and how their plants have performed.

Black pine substitute is Aleppo and Eldarica. All will be pruned in a loose could style to keep them small, maybe 15' max, some smaller.

Azalea substitute will be Bougainvillea pruned to an azalea. I'll be using the old style pruning, natural look, rather than rounded cloud/wave/rock look.

Giant Timber Bamboo, Bambusa oldhamii.

Rocks are meta quartzite, almost white. The idea is this will be suitable as a moon garden being Phoenix and all.

Hill side with a pond at the bottom. Some water lilies, kind not selected yet. Maybe a pergola with Hacienda Creeper to shade some of the pond.

Surrounding the Japanese garden is desert garden.

I would be interested in anyone's experience having a Japanese garden in hot dry climates. No clue what I'm going to do for ground cover.

Comments (6)

Sponsored