SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
azmike623

Queen Palm In Phoenix, AZ

azmike623
17 years ago

Just want to get in the conversation. I live in Avondale and love the queen palm. I think 1 or 2 in the landscape ties in the tropical look. But you have to remember we are in the desert and not the tropics. My queen palm is about 4 years old and stands about 18' tall. My neighbor planted his in the same week as I 4 years ago, His is only 3-4' tall and has yellow fizzle leaf every year. The only thing I did to keep mine healthy was to mix up 2 cups of epson salt (spelling?) in a 5 gal paint bucket of warm water. I sat the bucket on a top of a 3' ladder and placed a soaker hose in it so it would slowly soak the base of the palm. This I did every 1st week of the month. By the way my neighbor never did anything to his palm.

PS: I have a 20' tall guava tree that is in full bloom now, Even after the freeze that killed off most of the ficus. All I did to save that tree from the freeze was to wrap the tree with several WET blankets and during the night hosed the blankets every 4 hours. This saved my tree.

Thanks everyone for reading. email me if you have any questions about tropical plants in Phoenix area.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living