SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cienfuegos_gw

Help me plan my sweet potato box.

cienfuegos
12 years ago

okay after struggling through two dead batches of rotten sweet potatoes I have managed to get third batch to give me 25 viable slips with roots and at least fifteen more available in a week or so.

I am doing a large square foot garden but read that Mel's Mix may not be the best for sweet potatoes. So I went out and bout a sandy/loamy/soily/compost mix of soil with only 30-40% compost in it. What I failed to realize was that there were many pea size to dime size pebbles in the this mix. Will this distort my sweet potatoes? will it force them to be stringy? Or will it not affect them at all?

The box is 4X6ft and it is 18 inches high. It is a total of 24 plantable squares and I initially thought that I should do 1 slip per square. Is this insane? Will the roots severely over crowd themselves?

I then thought that I could maybe get away with planting an extra slip where four squares meet, giving me an additional 15 slips to plant but the spacing between the slips would then be about 9-10 inches instead of a foot. So I would have a toal of 39 slips in a 4X6 box. Is this even more insane?

I love sweet potatoes and want to maximize the amount I can get out of this box. I am building trellises to manage the leaf growth and will crop the leaves every eight to ten weeks, as I read a study that showed that any more cropping than that will affect potato growth. The trellises will also help keep the vines from trying to root on the ground.

I would appreciate any feedback you may have good or bad. If you have experience with sweet potatoes what would you do with a 4X6X1.5 box?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations