SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
weedlady_gw

When to 'plant' my sweet potato for slips?

weedlady
15 years ago

I have not had the opportunity to grow sweet potatoes in about 25 years, since we lived in southern Michigan. All of our travels finally have returned us to the wonderful Midwest in our retirement and I once more have a wonderful garden spot ready to go!

I remember that once I had got my sweet potato to start producing sprouts (using the time-honored method of placing the potato, supported by toothpicks, in a container of water), I would allow each sprout to get about 6" long, then remove it to another container of water to grow roots. I kept adding the slips to the second container until I had my desired number of slips for planting.

What I cannot recall is how early to start --that is, how long I should wait to put my potato in water so as not to have slips too early to plant. I am in central ohio, zone 5, and will be planting in raised beds (15"-18" deep) that are going to need to thaw out before planting. I'll pull off the chopped leaf/grass mulch & use black plastic to warm the soil as soon as things thaw enough (weeks yet!).

Also, I currently have my "seed" potatoes (I bought a couple of healthy-looking organic potatoes from a Whole Foods store over the holidays)in a dark cellar with about 55% humidity at about 50 degrees. Is that too cool? And would it be better to store the potatoes in some barely damp spaghnum moss, sand, peat, or coir until ready to start them to ensure enough humidity?

I'd appreciate any suggestions as to when to start propagating my taters! Many thanks in advance!

CK

Comments (8)