SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie_nj

Replacement of Blue Spruces

Annie_nj
17 years ago

I am very poor with landscaping, but I lost 3 old blue spruces this winter, which were situated between the house (a rancher) and the road, on top of a small rise (6 ft). ie: house looks down on the road, with huge picture windows. Across the road is a lovely park. There is ~20 ft from house to spruces, and ~20 ft from spruces to road. The spot gets morning shade and hot afternoon sun. The shade is from the house and several large trees. We had the trees trimmed up, and now the yard feels almost airy, although still shaded. The soil should be average, not heavy clay, nor sandy.

I am looking for something to replacement the spruces, to help interupt the view/noise/traffic from the road. We've thought of a small, low stone wall. Although I'm leaning toward a more natural use of shrubs. I think we need something ~4-6ft. A landscaper friend recommended hollies, but I don't care for the prickles when I walk around barefoot, and the small leaf ones don't excite me much. I would like something unusual, and friendly to the birds.

I'd prefer low maintaince (minimal trimming and watering), perhaps evergreen, and not the run of the mill shrubs. I visit Fairweather Gardens during their open houses, so their plants would be fine.

So I am looking for any ideas and recommendations, and don't mind some cost.

Thanks

Annie

Comments (6)