SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
castorp

Should I re-design my garden?

castorp
15 years ago

I started gardening about six years ago in my small yard, and although I tried to keep design in mind, I learned as I went along. I didn't know what sort of gardener I was at first. I went from being a native plant enthusiast to a butterfly and bird gardener to an antique rose gardener, and now I'm doing edibles, both veggies and fruit trees.

There are remnants of each stage I've been through all over the garden, and though I was careful to give each plant the space it needs in theory, the garden is overall a bit chaotic. I like to think of the garden as lush, but sometimes it feels overgrown and clausterphobic.

I sometimes think, "If I were to do it all over again . . . " The thought passes, but it comes back again and again. I think (but I'm not sure) the garden would look better if I came up with a good clean design, appropriate to the space, and re-did it. This would mean making some sacrifices, getting rid of some plants that I still like in some ways.

Another part of me says that no design is perfect, that I should tweak the garden here and there rather than starting over. There's still a part of me that likes the native thicket I planted along the fence even though I wish I could use the space for an espalier and veggies. And although the garden is mixed up, the mix does reflect my tastes and development as a gardener, and this is not always a bad thing.

I realize that this is a personal decision, a question of taste, but if anyone can offer advice, or ways of dealing with this sort problem, I'd appreciate it.

I'm also interested in books, magazines, websites, blogs, etc. with photos of orderly and even formal designs for small gardens, especially those that focus on edibles.

Thanks,

Bill

Comments (3)